Nothing beats the taste of grilled meat with a homey wood-smoked flavor. It’s comfort food for most grillers, something that reminds them of the good ‘ole days with their folks. But some buyers get intimidated with pellet grills. Understandably because you can consider the pellet grill as a hybrid of charcoal, electric, and gas grills.
You need not be intimidated by it. In fact, with the abundance of pellet grills in the market today, you’ll surely find one that will fit your budget and grilling requirements. One of these is Z Grills which was rated as “2019 Best Grills” on Forbes. Designed by a team of California-based engineers, each pellet grill incorporates the convenience of cooking with an electric or gas grill but with the smoke and flavor of grilling in a charcoal or wood oven. Neat ‘eh?
I guess by now you’re convinced to get yourself your own Z Grill. Before you head out to your griller, check out these honest to goodness Z Grill reviews below to have a look-see on what fits your style.
1. Z GRILLS ZPG-10002B 8-in-1 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker – Upgraded with the latest features
The ZPG-10002B 8-in-1 Grill and Smoker is one of the latest units of Z Grill being launched just this 2020. Being the latest model means upgrades in almost all of the features customers have loved about Z Grills.
This 2020 upgraded model boasts of a new high-temperature powder coating so you’ll never have to worry about your Z Grill parts corroding. It includes a rain cover, too. Another new feature is the ash clean out system. No more need to open the grill to drop your ash. Lastly, the hopper is also upgraded to a 20 lb. capacity. You can just basically start the grill, leave the meat to smoke, and come back after 10 hours.
It seems that customers who have bought this baby so far have no regrets whatsoever except that it took them around 1.5 to 2 hours to set up. Definitely, value for money.
- 3 layers of grills
- Can grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, sear, char-grill, and barbecue.
- Has front and side shelves to hold barbecue ingredients and accessories
- Has ash clean out feature
- Includes rain cover
- Average time of 1.5 to 2 hours assembly time
2. Z GRILLS ZPG-450A Wood 6-in-1 Pellet Grill – Perfect for beginners
The Z Grills ZPG-450A Wood Pellet Grill is one of the earlier models of Z Grills. It has almost all the amazing features that one should expect from a Z Grills unit. However, it’s relatively small compared to the other models with only a cooking area of 324 square inches. Nevertheless, it’s perfect for the unassuming pellet grill beginners because it does the job regardless of its limitations. It’s also easy to operate and clean after.
- 15 lb. hopper capacity lets you or smoke meat for up to 8 hours
- Cart is upgraded with heavy-duty wheels that can be locked
- Very affordable
- 2019 model
- Relatively small cooking area for food that can serve 2-3 people
3. Z GRILLS ZPG-1000D 8-in-1 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker – Luxurious and classy
The Z Grills ZPG-1000D is very much like our first Z Grills entry, the ZPG-10002B. If I were to place them side by side, there would be little difference. Both have the amazing 8-in-1 functions and the state-of-the-art upgrades the Z Grills added to their 2020 models. Both have the same size of cooking area.
However, what makes me partial towards the ZPG-10002B black beauty is the fact that it’s cheaper by 150 bucks! I’m ok with an uncovered shelf under my grill, anyway.
If you’re concerned about aesthetics and have a lot of cash to spare, then this is your best bet.
- 2020 model
- Can grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, sear, char-grill, and barbecue
- 3 layers of grills
- Covered storage area for barbecue ingredients
- Has a side shelf for barbecue tools
- Auger system of pellet feeding
- Digital control of temperature
- Stainless steel design in a beautiful bronze color
- No cover included
- More on the pricey side
4. Z GRILLS ZPG-7002B Wood Pellet Grills & Smoker
Z Grills ZPG-7002B Wood Pellet and Grill Smoker may look so unassuming but it is actually an upgrade of an older model (which you will also see later in this list). It has all the standard quality features Z Grills models are known for but has an impressive 513 square inch main grill. And if you include the smoking and warming rack which has an area of 187 square inch, you will be able to cook six chickens, 5 racks of ribs, or 32 burgers all at the same time!
Like its predecessor, the ZPG-7002B has no side shelf and waste oil bucket included. These minus points are but minor especially if you’re not too sensitive when it comes to added features.
- Updated digital controls
- Huge main grilling area
- Bigger hopper capacity
- Cover included
- No side shelf for cooking utensils
- Waste oil bucket not included
5. Z GRILLS ZPG-550B Wood Pellet Grill 8-in-1 BBQ Smoker – For the practical buyer
The Z Grill ZPG-550B Wood Pellet Grill 8-in-1 BBQ Smoker is also one of Z Grills older models which were first sold in 2019. Practical cooks would love this because it has all the functionalities of the more expensive and latest Z Grills 8-in-1 models but sold at half the price.
The whole pellet grill is made of beautiful black stainless steel that’s made to withstand the elements. Its double “U” legs are also worth mentioning and I believe it completes the whole classy vibe it exudes.
Other customers may find its size as a downside. Nope, not for me. I think it being small makes it the perfect grill to bring to a picnic or tailgating party.
- Very affordable 8-in-1 pellet grill
- Uniquely classy double “U” legs
- Small cooking area and hopper capacity
- No cover included
6. Z Grills ZPG-700D Wood 6-in-1 Pellet Grill – Perfect when grilling for huge groups
Are you the type who loves playing host to barbecue parties? Then the Z Grills ZPG-700D is for you. If you check out most Z Grills reviews, you will find that this model is one of the units with bigger cooking areas. This is despite having only 2 layers of grills.
What I also find worthy in this unit is the covered storage space underneath the grill. Take note that the ZPG-1000D has this feature so this is already a plus point for the ZPG 700-D.
If you don’t mind getting only 6 functions instead of 8 and you’re ok with taking out the ashes of your pellet grill with a shop vac, then this would be a suitable choice.
- Large total cooking area
- With covered storage area underneath the grill
- Grill cover included in the package
- No ash clean out function
7. Z Grills ZPG-7002 Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker – No frills, just grill
Z Grills ZPG-7002 Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker is also an older model with a big total grilling area. And like the ZPG-700D, it only has 2 layers of grills. Both are priced the same though they have a couple of differences. One feature that’s lacking in the other can be found in the other and vice versa. Well, I should say, nice move, Z Grills!
If you want a grill pellet with 7 functions in 1 (compared to ZPG-700D’s) and do not mind not having a side shelf and covered storage area, then you’re ok to go with this model.
- Large total cooking area and hopper capacity
- Looks durable and portable to bring on a picnic or tailgating event
- No side shelf for grilling utensils
- Waste oil bucket not included
Z Grills Buyer’s Guide
As you can see, Z Grills Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker units have revolutionized the whole world of smoking and grilling. The units relatively have a reasonable price, you just have to weigh the pros and cons to see what fits your budget, your grilling and smoking requirements, and your aesthetic preferences.
Thanks to the Z Grill reviews you just read, you can now tell your dealer exactly the model that you need. But before you do that, here are a few more important things that you need to know.
Reasons to choose Z Grills Wood Pellet Grill and Smokers
Z Grills is proudly American-made with seasoned engineers that have already spent 33 years in pellet smoker R & D and production. Add to that, they also have a 50-year experience in stainless steel production. No wonder, people have been raving about Z Grills ever since they first introduced their first Wood Pellet Grill and Smokers.
Nevertheless, you can rest assured of a hassle-free after sales experience with a Z Grills Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker Z Grills 30-day Return Guarantee, not to mention the standard 3-year warranty of each sold unit.
Lastly, and this will be especially an advantage for the first-time pellet grillers, Z Grills have tons of recipes on their website that you can try out. Their Customer Hotline, whether by online chat or call is also pretty responsive according to most buyers.
How do I use my Z Grills Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker?
The people behind Z Grills made it a point to simplify the wood pellet grilling or smoking experience, especially to newbies. Try to go back to the Z Grill reviews I listed above and you will be reminded of the impressive features of each model.
Here’s how you make your Z Grills Wood Pellet Grill and Smokers work:
- Turn the dial to set the temperature just as you would your usual oven.
- Load your favorite wood pellet flavor into the hopper.
- Once the pellets are in the hopper, the auger at the bottom will pull them into the firepot making contact with the igniter.
- A circulation fan inside the grill makes sure that the heat is distributed well so that food is cooked evenly.
- Once the food is cooked, the grill will automatically adjust the amount of pellets. This will be just enough to maintain the temperature you set.
Amazing isn’t it? The technology put into this pellet grill is indeed revolutionary!
Among all the six Z Grills Wood Pellet Grill and Smokers in this round-up, I can honestly day that the ZPG-10002B 8-in-1 Grill and Smoker as the best choice. The name says it all. How can you ever go wrong with anything that is “8-in-1,” don’t you agree?
You’re getting a 2020 model for a reasonable price. Is that a win? Yes, I think so. You have to remember that the 2020 upgrade has these two amazing features:
- New high temperature powder coating; and
- Ash clean out system
These two features are not included in the 2019 models. Only the ZPG-1000D has these but, of course, a price difference is just too much.
Another thing I love about this model is the availability of cooking space. With a 3-layer grill totaling to 1000 square inch, you’ll be able to cook different kinds of food all at one go. Plus, the huge hopper capacity means no “babysitting” at all. You can do other things while smoking your baby back ribs to perfection.
And lastly, the freebie. Though Z Grills Wood Pellet Grills and Smokers are made of durable stainless steel, it’s still best if you get one with a free cover. Not everyone has a covered patio so this is essential.
I hope I covered everything you need to know here in my honest-to-goodness Z Grills round up. Let me know if I missed anything. Happy grilling’ and smoking!
- 1. Z GRILLS ZPG-10002B 8-in-1 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker – Upgraded with the latest features
- 2. Z GRILLS ZPG-450A Wood 6-in-1 Pellet Grill – Perfect for beginners
- 3. Z GRILLS ZPG-1000D 8-in-1 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker – Luxurious and classy
- 4. Z GRILLS ZPG-7002B Wood Pellet Grills & Smoker
- 5. Z GRILLS ZPG-550B Wood Pellet Grill 8-in-1 BBQ Smoker – For the practical buyer
- 6. Z Grills ZPG-700D Wood 6-in-1 Pellet Grill – Perfect when grilling for huge groups
- 7. Z Grills ZPG-7002 Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker – No frills, just grill
- Z Grills Buyer’s Guide
- THE VERDICT